Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Making a chute for cash to go into safe through wall

On 13/02/2019 17:19, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 13/02/2019 16:02, Murmansk wrote:
I need to make a chute to go through a 12cm lath and plaster wall in a
Victorian house.

At the far end will be one of those cheapo small safes with a keyboard
for entry of a code to open it. The safe is currently on a shelf and
screwed to the wall.

The other end of the chute will be positioned behind a picture to hide
it.

I guess the chute needs to be sloped downwards to discourage the bags
of coins and bunches of cash from getting stuck on the way in.

This isn't a particularly high security environment so no need for
spikes inside the chute to stop people trying to fish stuff out!

I'm planning to take a square of metal out of the back wall of the
safe with an angle grinder where the chute joins the safe.

I reckon the chute needs to be about 6cm high and 10cm wide - not as
wide as a letterbox. It probably needs to slope down at about 45 degrees.

I'm planning to cut through the first bit of plaster and laths with a
multi tool and hope I'm not near one of the studs, then come through
on the other side in a similar manner but further down to allow for
the slope.

I'll probably have to make the chute out of MDF but can anyone suggest
a suitable pre-made chute material? Maybe the kind of pipe used to
vent extractor fans?

45 degrees sounds a bit aggressive. you might find plastic bagged coins
bursting open when they land?

Could always put a layer of foam or bubble wrap in the bottom of the safe