Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 23:43:36 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/02/2019 23:17, wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 11:43:28 UTC+1, Mick IOW wrote:
Hi all,
Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please?

Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ?
Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ?

Then the 3 day week began in January in 1974 ?

I live on the Isle of Wight, but they were all over the UK I think?

Mick.

As an electrician I made some good money during the power cuts of the early 70's installing generators for a well known supermarket chain, great work!! the generators picked up all the refrigeration and tills plus 60% of the lighting etc, a lot of the work at night when the stores where closed, we did 8 stores in all, hard work but very good money, I was in my 20's then and it was like winning the lottery today.

I was just a child, but I remember candles dotted around the house, plus
a 12V lamp hung on the wall in the living room, with a car battery on
the floor below it and the 12V portable black and white TV from the
caravan next to it.

SteveW

Was it true that during those days-weeks that 9 months later there was a mini baby boom ?