Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default which new washing machine-to DIY instead of dumping when it breaks.

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 09:32:35 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:58:38 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

So what chance (commercially) was there for something that could last
(have an extendable MTBF via cheap parts and labour), especially if it
was a bit more expensive (comparatively) in the first place?

It was £800, too much.

I remember there being several models and I don't remember the 'Basic'
machine being *that* much more expensive than any std machine? Can you
remember the brand OOI (I think it was 3 letters)?

ISE. They had 2 models at £450 and £800. I vaguely remember the cheaper one not being as attractive repair-wise. Getting one would mean gambling on ISE remaining in production for many decades & not changing their spares prices. And having way longer practical life. One can buy a used machine for 50-100 that should manage 5-10 years so I wasn't convinced. At £10 per year that ISE would need to last 45 years with NO repairs just to break even.

As mentioned elsewhere, I wonder how many of is might buy the cheapest
machine that ticks the basic / minimum boxes and comes at good price
and with a good reputation? How many people buy the most expensive
machines and then use most of the features?

Russian goods are designed more for repairability.

Still?

Haven't bought any in a while. AFAIK the state is still majorly into manufacturing, so it would make sense to continue the policy of repairability.

Perhaps there is a Rigonda washing machine in 1950s colours waiting to be imported.

Fully retro. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Australia imports Vyatkas, they're a modern design.

NT