Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default which new washing machine-to DIY instead of dumping when it breaks.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 21:01:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 21:07:23 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 19:36:01 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

Miele doesnt come with bells and whistles. It comes with - gasp SHOCK
ABSORBERS. Everty washing machine needs them. Only Miele fit them...

Every washing machine I've repaired / stripped down came with form of
shock absorber.

The tub is generally suspended from the top on a series of springs and
aligned / supported at the bottom by a pair of dampers (or spring /
damper units).

Cheers, T i m

Tubs are supported from underneath by heavy springs,

'Some tubs' possibly. The one I took apart recently certainly didn't
as I disconnected the dampers from the chassis and the tub stayed in
the same place.

and damped by hsbc absorbers.

And / or concrete to some degree.

In fact I would suggest *most* of the damping was done by the concrete
and a bit more was supplied by the dampers, along with some alignment.

The springs support the mass whilst the damping keeps the tub from
hitting the inside of the cabinet.

The little top springs just reduce the sideways movement some, machines still work with them disconnected.

If they are little I doubt they can do much to hold a tub and load in
place against an unbalanced spin buildup.

The springs I took out of the last WM I took to bits were the size of
those springs you see on garden gate self closer's (mind you, it was a
pretty old machine). ;-)

Cheers, T i m