Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Magnetron question

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 6:21:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Semi-related: Will a microwave last longer if lower
power levels are used instead of full power all the
time?

IE: Instead of heating something for the typical one
minute at full power, heating it for two minutes at
half power(or even medium high or 60% if such
setting available)? That way the magnetron cycles
on and off instead of running constantly, and also
the food is more evenly heated.

In total hours, I get much more time on fluorescent tubes when they're on all the time. I have some that burn all the time for security reasons, and others that get turned off when my shop is closed. I get about the same amount of time before failure out of both.

I suspect magnetrons are the same way. For the less time they're actually accumulating during "low power" settings, they're also getting cycled. My guess is it will ultimately make little difference.