Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Well - done

On 02/11/2019 09:46 PM, wrote:
Back in the Children's Band radio days I got to know some of the
truckers running up and down I-95. You talked to the same guys at the
same place at the same time almost every night. If they weren't there
they had trouble. It was worse than driving a bus but most of them
seemed to like it.

I bounced around the east coast a few times when dispatch was
repositioning me for a load back west. As far as I could tell it sucked.
Screw around most of the afternoon getting a load, drive five or six
hours at night to go 300 miles, spend the morning getting unloaded and
put up with crappy truck stops in between.

My idea of a worthwhile run was LA to Dalton and back or even LA to
Denver. You usually got to drive during the day, sleep at night, and
live like a human. Sometimes LA to Dalton was a little intense and you'd
catch about 5 hours of sleep in Amarillo, but then you'd go to
Adairsville and hang around for a day or two.

I only got to Florida a couple of times and the last was a disaster. I
always carried a bike and I went out for a ride. Wrecked the bike, broke
a few ribs, and my collar bone in two places but I'd be damned if I'd go
to an ER in Jacksonville knowing they wouldn't let me back in the truck.
Lots of ibuprofen but I got it back to Montana. I was supposed to go on
to Seattle but I called my dispatcher and told her I was done when I got
to town. Broken ribs are the gift that keeps on giving for about six
months.