Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pelosi calls Ocasio-Cortez's 'new deal' climate plan a 'green dream'

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:52:39 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

They gave the PC business away to establish the x86 standard and pave
the way for their proprietary machine. Although most people seldom
ever saw a PS/2 except on TV, it was very successful for IBM in the
business world. The goal was to replace every dumb terminal with a
PS/2 and that was very successful.

Yeah, it was going good until companies started making emulation boards.

PS/2 was a pretty good business machine. The architecture was
proprietary so you didn't have dozens of people making cards with
questionable interfaces and all of the IRQ problems you had on the ISA
bus. Drivers were also all coordinated so you didn't have a video
driver stealing resources from something else.
You plug a PS/2 card in, run the ref disk and you were done. You also
didn't have would be hardware hackers modifying the machine on their
desk with stuff they brought in from home.
For the home user it sucked. That is probably why they did not sell
well in the consumer market. I always ran them at home but I had
access to free parts for the testing.