Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com is offline

Default Pelosi calls Ocasio-Cortez's 'new deal' climate plan a 'green dream'

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 9:50:04 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 02/11/2019 04:34 AM, wrote:
We had VT220s and VT320s being used until 1999 for our ERP system, when
they switched to a PC-based application. And we're still using that
1999 software. *sigh*

Don't knock it -- I'm still fixing 1999 software.

I'd be happier if it had been good in 1999. It's got a grid
layout. You can't resize the columns. You can't sort by various
columns.

Of course, if we'd paid for maintenance, we could be using their
2019 software. But at some point our CFO decided he'd rather
keep the paychecks going than the software maintenance. I find
it difficult to argue with that, even though the maintenance
paid by our customers has kept us alive through lean years.

I did an interface to
the state for a site in Illinois. The state is still using the IBM
network protocol and speaking in EBCDIC. Another site used DECNet but
that one is long gone fortunately. The contract was weak so they
basically got anything their little hearts desired for free.

Quite a bit of the source code our current product uses was
written in 1990-1992. It was well designed and skillfully
implemented, and we've never needed to fix any bugs in quite
large sections of the code.

It's funny. I used to hate VAX/VMS. Now I hate Windows. I
guess I'm just a hater.

Cindy Hamilton