Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pelosi calls Ocasio-Cortez's 'new deal' climate plan a 'green dream'

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:34:09 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 06:47 AM, wrote:
I was just referring to the 51xx PC products as opposed to the 85xx
PS/2 products.
I agree it was unfortunate to keep the 51xx model numbers going but I
suspect they thought the General Systems group would be running that
business. It ended up being Industry Systems.

I don't know if they even thought it would be a business. Boca Raton
must have had a bad case of whiplash when the money came and went. Being
an IBMer always was interesting.

I never understood Boca and I wasn't surprised when that moved out. It
ended up in Austin for the most part from what I remember. That was
still another division and I wasn't that involved in the day to day
until the burger joints started using PCs as POS terminals. At that
point I was already in the middle of it because Wendy's had a contract
with the enterprise group on their 3680 systems they had been using
for a decade prior.
Originally I was involved in service delivery, basically figuring out
how to maintain a box that was designed to throw big assemblies at it
when there was no logistic chain to repair them. The parts were too
expensive to just throw away. You are not fixing a printer at the
Wendy's drive through at lunch time and keeping a happy customer.
You aren't keeping a happy bean counter if you throw a $1600 printer
at it.