Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default OT - Help with chainsaw.... Plus

Sonny wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 5:58:41 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Is the chain break engaged? This has happened to me.

Break is not engaged. Chain spins freely when running, either when initially choked to start and a bit off choke. Idles ok. When I pull the trigger it'll start to run, but immediately hesitates, release the trigger, back to idle ok somewhat, but as soon as I engage the trigger, the motor hesitates, then shuts off.

It runs, chain spins fine. The spark arrester (screen on muffler) is clean. I removed the fuel filter, it seemed fine, but I cleaned it anyway. I highly the carb is blocked between the fuel tank and carb, just inside the carb. I poured fuel into the air filter opening, into the carb, and it ran fine, then hesitated/stopped as before.

I'm not familiar enough with these carburetors to disassemble/assemble them properly, so I'm hesitant to disassemble. I'm leaning toward ordering a new carb. I may disassemble this one, later, maybe find the problem, then.

To the right of the air filter there is another small cylinder gadget, the tank vent. Never saw one as this before. Wasn't one on my old Stihl. It has a pin hole in its internal parts. I blew into it, very slow air flow. I might try replacing this, also. Item #17 in this diagram -
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/...636-40e3-a67c/

Sonny

My guess is that it's a tiny split in the fuel line:
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/...7b00-4c59-a545
Very comman issue w/Stihl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQouxSr1n8

I've had to replace the fuel line TWICE on my MS-290 since buying it new in 2000.

Carb removal is not necessary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wFHrCPi2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh90_ax9K8