Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default OT - Help with chainsaw.... Plus

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 13:41:43 -0600, shiggins wrote:

On 2/9/2019 11:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/9/2019 12:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250.* Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles.** Made 8
cuts, then saw stopped working properly.* Saw starts, runs ok, but
once you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas.** Fuel
filter seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks.* I removed the
carburetor and blew it out, as best I thought.* I suspect something
(trash?) is blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or
where.*** Service center estimates $80 - $100 to repair.* A new carb
is $12 + shipping from Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the
carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to
the problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and
running properly?** coming week.

Sonny

I'd take the chain off and clean everything.* I'm wondering if the
creosote has it gummed up

Have you checked the spark screen? Its a screen that looks like the
muffler gasket when assembled. I've had 2 engines that ran properly
until warmed ( operated for about 30 minutes). Then they would start but
could not open the throttle. Removed the plate. Replaced the muffler.
Ran like new. In locales that have prominent big brother activity its
illegal to operate the engine w/o the screen.

Steve

What oilmix are you using, and what fuel?