Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default OT - Help with chainsaw.... Plus

On 2/9/2019 12:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/9/2019 12:22 PM, Sonny wrote:
New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250.Â* Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles.Â*Â* Made 8
cuts, then saw stopped working properly.Â* Saw starts, runs ok, but once
you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas.Â*Â* Fuel filter
seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks.Â* I removed the carburetor
and blew it out, as best I thought.Â* I suspect something (trash?) is
blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or where.Â*Â*Â* Service
center estimates $80 - $100 to repair.Â* A new carb is $12 + shipping from
Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to the
problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and running
properly?Â*Â* coming week.

Sonny

I'd take the chain off and clean everything.Â* I'm wondering if the creosote
has it gummed up

Not familiar with that model but if it anything like my old dependable
Stihl you can remove the chain and the clutch/drive quite easily. Do that
and try running it again. If it revs freely like that then the problem is
drag in the chain somewhere. It could be something as sneaky as gunk from
the poles getting into the chain slot in the bar and bogging it down. (This
might also suggest that the bar lubrication system isn't working properly.)
I've heard of such drag happening when cutting a lot of sappy pine. The bar
nosepiece needs to be lubricated frequently too (that is what the little
holes up there are for and everyone should have the odd little grease that
fits there).