Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Pelosi calls Ocasio-Cortez's 'new deal' climate plan a 'greendream'

On 02/09/2019 12:45 PM, wrote:
They gave the PC business away to establish the x86 standard and pave
the way for their proprietary machine. Although most people seldom
ever saw a PS/2 except on TV, it was very successful for IBM in the
business world. The goal was to replace every dumb terminal with a
PS/2 and that was very successful.

IBM blunders on... 20 years ago most of our clients were running RS/6000
machines with AIX, at least server side. Y2K was the beginning of the
end. The patched versions of the OS wouldn't run on the older boxes.
People looked at the cost of replacing RS/6000 hardware and suddenly
decided Windows servers would get the job done. We've got a couple of
old RS/6000 machines but nobody is sure they will even boot anymore. We
tried Linux server side. It worked very well but it required a sysadmin
who liked Linux. Most cut their teeth on Windows Server so that was that.

The DB2 product keeps on going. Again the problem is SQL Server has
vastly improved over the last 20 years while DB2's development seems to
be mostly new releases to be compatible with Windows OS updates.

There must still be money in big iron which is where IBM always was most
comfortable.