Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default OT - Help with chainsaw.... Plus

New Stihl chainsaw model MS 250. Used once before.

Second use - cutting 12" diameter creosote telephone poles. Made 8 cuts, then saw stopped working properly. Saw starts, runs ok, but once you pull the trigger it bogs down, as if not getting gas. Fuel filter seems clean, can't detect any fuel hose kinks. I removed the carburetor and blew it out, as best I thought. I suspect something (trash?) is blocking the fuel, but I can't figure out what or where. Service center estimates $80 - $100 to repair. A new carb is $12 + shipping from Amazon..... I'm tempted to chance replacing the carb at this price.

I have no idea if cutting creosote material, itself, is relative to the problem.

Any clues as to what needs to be done to get my saw back up and running properly? I'm not very mechanically/small engine inclined, so I'm not comfortable delving into the carb too deeply, if that may be the problem, but I may try cleaning it, if need be... not sure how.

Project: Repairing the old homestead's barn.... it's in bad shape, from neglect. Right side overhang is falling down, as is the back of the barn. The sills are termite eaten and we're replacing/repairing what we can, within reason.... not a total remodel, but just enough to make things somewhat usable for moderate storage and/or out of the weather. The cut telephone poles will be the new sills.

Some pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/
Removed the chimney from the old house, patched up the wall & roof, there. And some barn pics.

Received the Chestnut trees from Willis Orchards. Hope to get them planted this coming week.

Sonny