Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge thermostat repair

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 08:15:33 UTC, Kit Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 08:37:15 +0100, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 06:12:40 GMT, Kit Jackson
wrote:

The adjustment knob connects to a 1K potentiometer that is working fine.
Tucked behind the cooling plate are 3 sensors of some sort. One black
one about 20 mm long. Is this the thermocouple?

Yes, the sensor, but NTC or so, and not a thermocopuple.

Right, so this is a thermistor and the internet tells me this is likely
to have a resistance of between 100 and 10K Ohms in the temperature range
we are interested in, matching well enough the 1K pot in a voltage
balancing circuit. I'd guess this is very unlikely to fail then, but if
it does fail it will either be a short circuit or an open circuit. If I
can get some probes at it I'll try to measure its resistance but it looks
like it has been potted up.

The other 2 are discs about 10 mm diameter. I thought at the start that
they might be magnetic designed to stick to the back of the cooling
plate but they aren't magnetic.

3M gel connectors: all the do is connect and seal out water.

This looks like I'm barking up the wrong tree then. Lets forget them.

Has anybody any idea what might be wrong. How can I test these
components? What are they?

The other bits look like the connectors to the light bulb.

The interesting parts are elsewhere... probably in back.

I'll have a look round the back near the compressor. Any clues what I'm
looking for? Is this likely to be a diy job?

Thomas Prufer

Thanks for your hep so far.
Kit Jackson

I wuoldn't say that a thermistor was unlikely to fail, nor that it would surely go sc or oc.

A temp sensor coming adrift from the evaporator can cause the problem, as can a faulty sensor. I'm a lot more familiar with ye olde frosting fridges & freezers, and don't know whether your stat should be attached to the evap or not.

NT