Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy[_4_] Home Guy[_4_] is offline

Default In general, what temperature do you keep your house living areasat during the winter?

arlen holder wrote:

In general, what temperature do you keep your house living areas at during
the winter?

70 F. During the day when nobody is home I'll set it back to 68.

If it's windy outside, I might set it for 71 F overnight.

My two outside thermometers read 11 and 14 right now. During the past
couple of weeks it has got to -4 F.

If I'm home and it's sunny and not too windy and outdoor temp is 25 - 40
I'll set the indoor temp to 69.

Two story, 1975, brick exterior on first story, second story could use
more insulation on walls. Original Pella windows. Forced air natural
gas (original furnace, standing pilot, natural draft combustion exhaust,
single stage). Drum humidifier. Main floor humidity reading of
somewhere between 30 - 40%. Furnace fan runs 24/7.

In the summer my AC will struggle to get to 73F and 50% humidity when
its 85F and 65% humidity outside. There have been times when it's like
75-80 F and 75% humidity outside in the summer. When it's like that
outside, 73F feels cool, even cold (initially). Condensation has formed
on windows *on the outside* a few times. It would feel uncomfortable
(too warm) right now if it was 73F inside.