Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V circuit breaker - polarity sensitive?

On 08/02/2019 11:17, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 08/02/2019 07:46, Paddy Dzell wrote:
Michael Chare formulated the question :
On 07/02/2019 23:22, Paddy Dzell wrote:
I have a hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the boot floor,
which is awkward to get to if I ever need to jump start the car so
I've installed a socket in a more convenient and accessible place
and I've taken two wires directly from the battery to that socket.

The socket is keyed so there's no chance of any reverse polarity
accident occuring if I ever need to use my jump start battery pack
but I need to protect that cable run from any sort of accident
resulting in a short-circuit, so I bought a 12V circuit breaker
rated at 30A (the computers draw less than 20A to get the hybrid
system to the 'READY' state).

My question is - the circuit breaker has one connection labelled as
'Line' and the other one as 'Load', so is there anything in there
that means it will only operate with current flowing in that direction?

The wires from the battery to the socket will have a permanent 12V
supply on them. If I were to plug anything into that socket then
current would flow from battery to socket. However, it's purpose is
to do the reverse and provide 12V from an external source to the
flat battery so current flow would be from socket to battery, so
will the breaker work 'going one way' as an overcurrent device in
case of a fault but also allow current flow in the opposite
direction when/if needed?

Or should I just put a 30A in-line fuse in instead of the breaker?

Google for 'starter motor current'.Â* If a car wont start, I either
put it on charge or just go an buy a new battery using a different
vehicle.

A normal starter motor draws upwards of 300A when cranking the engine
but there's no starter motor in a hybrid and all the 12V battery does
is power the entry/exit system and boots the computers to get the
hybrid system to the READY state, a draw of less than 20A.

So how does the petrol engine in a hybrid vehicle start?

Does it initially drive on battery and engage the drive train somehow to
turn the engine and bump start it?

The drive motor is the starter motor. Ona Pious at least IIRC. Its a
weird power train designed to share torque betwen electric conventional
and output

Josef Stalin