Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Well - done

On 2/7/2019 4:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/7/2019 3:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Installers just left.Â* Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5
hours.Â* Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25
gpm which is great.

Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump
trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank.Â* They have to
come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I
guess seed.Â* Have yet to see bill.Â* They could not salvage the new
pump that plumber put in.

Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next
week when chlorine is run out.Â* Digger said just because new well is
less than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the
same.Â* I just hope it does not need treatment.Â* Some neighbors do and
a few only drink bottled water.

Good flow rate.Â* Wells often have advantages if you have good water and
no treatment needed.Â* Before I added filters in my CT house we used to
fill jugs from a friend's well for drinking.Â* So far, the water here has
been good.

Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year.Â* Our sewer rate is much
higher than what we pay for water.Â* Water last month was $18, sewer was
$41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.

I think sewer rate here is a little lower but water much higher. A
bachelor friend pays about $40 and families about $100/month. Over the
long haul you can save with well and septic but when a fix is needed you
get socked all at once. I think I would prefer the stable route in part
because government specifications change. Two neighbors when they sold
their houses were forced to put chemical treatment facilities in that
take grey water from septic tank into a tank that removes most bacteria
and heavy metals before hitting the leach field. County must have
tightened up on perk rate of septic fields. Fortunately I have
evaporation beds. It cost these neighbors $25,000 each.

Trash and recycle removal once a week cost about $60 for 3 months.

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm. Water was
great with no treatment. When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.