Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Another Track Saw

On 2/6/2019 2:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 12:10:21 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/3/2019 6:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 11:54:56 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Looks like Kreg is getting into the Track Saw game and it appears to
offer features much like the Festool track saw and the Festool MFT table
for cutting.
Something interesting is the fact that the Kreg track saw is a lefty
version. And it appears to possibly be made much like the Festool track
saw, it has a lot of the same features for adjustments and methods of use.
The system is is a basic copy of the Festool system but with added
features. I really like the table folding up and being moveable with
built in wheels. The Festool MFT only folds up and then you carry it
around.
Just the saw and a track long enough to cut across 50" will be $400.00.
The cutting table with wheels kit will be $500.00
The Master kit that includes all of the above, $900.00.

Like the Festool set up, you could probably get by with out a table saw
and with the added benefit of portability.

https://www.kregtool.com/landing/ada...px?source=1677

What do you mean when you say "get by without a table saw"?

The better track saws can replace a table saw. My Festool track saw
cuts as accurately as my cabinet saw and delivers an extremely clean cut.
These days I break down sheet goods, and the larger pieces are cut TO
FINISHED DIMENSIONS, with my track saw.

The TS affords the ability to cut dado's and groves and cove cuts but if
you only need beveled, straight cuts, or miter joints, most any track
saw will deliver all you need.

If you are doing a lot of building, the TS is still the more comfortable
tool for repetitive cuts and ultimately quicker for those cuts. But if
you do not have a good TS a good track saw would probably fill 99% of
your needs.

You obviously do more (and much better) wood working than me, but I'm still
having trouble seeing that. Granted, I don't have a track saw to compare
a TS with, so I have some questions. None of this is push-back, even if
it sounds like it is. ;-)

Not a problem, I would be asking the same questions.

"Remember" the Festool MFT and the NEW Kreg track saw and "table" make
things easier for all aspects of cutting small parts.

How do you handle cuts that you would use a sled for? Small panels, etc?

The MFT table allows you to raise and lock in an angle over the work.
The work sits against an adjustable fence. That fence is set at 90 to
the track or at an angle to the track. If necessary you can shorten the
length of a board 1/64". This works similar to a RAS except instead of
changing the boom angle you adjust the fence angle.

Go here and scroll through the picture examples of the saw and table.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/.../495315---mft3

What is the depth of cut? I can't rip 8/4 S2S boards with my circular saw
and homemade luan straightedge, so I rip them on my table saw.

The Festool TS-75 will cut to a depth
of 3" at 90 degrees and 2.125" at 45 degrees.

On the current project I needed to cut at a 7 degree angle on two pieces
of same sized 3/4" thick pieces of MDO. I stacked the two pieces,
clamped them together laid the track along the line to be cut, and made
the cut.

How narrow of a board can you rip?

With a little creative setting up, probably 1/2" or so. You place same
thickness wider boards behind the narrow piece to support the track.

Can you produce thin strips for edge banding?

Absolutely

Can you joint an edge?

Absolutely and I do this when I buy S2S material.

(I only ask because I don't have a joiner. For
my current bench project I built a joiner fence for my table saw. It
works really well for boards up to about 3 feet where it's fairly easy
to keep consistent pressure on the fence. Joining 5' long 1-1/2" boards
for the seat didn't work out as well.)

You do need to add the appropriate length track to accomplish this. I
have 3 track lengths. When put together the two longer ones will rip an
8' long piece of plywood.