Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Another Track Saw

On 2/3/2019 9:22 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/19 3:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/2/2019 11:30 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/2/19 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:
Looks like Kreg is getting into the Track Saw game and it appears to
offer features much like the Festool track saw and the Festool MFT
table for cutting.
Something interesting is the fact that the Kreg track saw is a lefty
version.Â* And it appears to possibly be made much like the Festool
track saw, it has a lot of the same features for adjustments and
methods of use.
The system is is a basic copy of the Festool system but with added
features.Â* I really like the table folding up and being moveable
with built in wheels.Â* The Festool MFT only folds up and then you
carry it around.
Just the saw and a track long enough to cut across 50" will be $400.00.
The cutting table with wheels kit will be $500.00
The Master kit that includes all of the above, $900.00.

Like the Festool set up, you could probably get by with out a table
saw and with the added benefit of portability.

https://www.kregtool.com/landing/ada...px?source=1677

For those of you in California this may not be a good option,
apparently it causes cancer in your state.Â* I can't wait for the
warning labels that caution that the item could burn and cause
forest fires.Â* ;~)

https://www.kregtool.com/tool-specs/...n-65-a2-w.aspx

I just finally got into the track saw game.Â* I saw the Kreg when I
was looking around, but I ended up going with the cordless Makita for
a few reasons...

There certainly is nothing wrong with Makita especially with
reliability.Â* I have had a Makita trim router for several years and it
is bullet proof.
And I bought a Makita impact and drill in 2004.Â* I used them
extensively until I started using a Festool drill in early 2012.Â* I
can say that I no longer use my Makita impact.Â* Amazingly the Festool
drill replaced the Makita impact driver.Â* On a rare occasion I will
use my Bosch impact but mostly if I want to drill holes and not switch
bits on the Festool drill.

1. It's been getting really great reviews on respected tool review
sites.
2. After getting a Makita cordless impact driver last year, I've
begun the migration to all Makita cordless (and a few corded) tools.
3. The Makita track saw came with two 5ah batts, PLUS a free 2/pack
of 5ah batts as a cooperate promotion, through Jan.Â* Saw w/blade,
dual charger, Four 5ah batts, stacking cases, for $500.

It seems that batteries are getting less expensive.Â* Even the Festool
batteries are reasonably priced.Â* And if I go to a Festool road show
they typically give me a new battery and sometimes a new charger too.

It was just a no-brainer for me since I've fallen in love with Makita
and already had a bunch of batteries... now even more!Â* Another bonus
is the Makita fits Festool tracks, so if I need one in a hurry,
there's plenty in stock at the local Woodcraft.

I understand that DeWalt will fit the Festool track too.Â* Maybe
another way to go in a pinch.

I got a track, yesterday, from Amazon with same-day delivery... I'll
be taking the saw on its maiden voyage, today, making a table top.

Cool!

I used it yesterday and I'm completely sold.
Cuts like butta.Â* Starts up immediately and shuts down immediately.
I can't believe how much power it has.Â* I think DC is a much better
delivery system for power, but that's another debate.
I really love not having to worry about an extension cord.Â* It's fairly
light, even with two 5ah batts attached.
Lovin' it so far.Â* I like the cases, too.

Do you have a vac attached too? With the vac attached less than 10% of
the dust gets away.