Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Another Track Saw

On 2/6/19 2:18 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 8:53:17 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

We all know guys who's only conversations are when they're
complaining about something... heck, we have that type in here.

I do a good job staying away from those folks and their attitudes,
but sometimes it gets me. I have three large jobs going on now, two
pretty complex. Actually doing some structure repair and design by
leveling an all wood building on one of them. City codes, modern
installation techniques and materials, and short delivery times make
both a challenge.

I don't have time for idiocy, and have a pretty small tolerance for
it. Most of my own guys have been around me for years and know what
I want, know when to talk to me, and know when to leave me alone. So
when resolving a structural issue to my satisfaction and coming up
with a detail for construction, it is more than annoying to have some
moron come share their "knowledge" with me. Those guys don't work
for me, but are on the job because the owner wanted to them. Silly
as it may sound, I am not not used to, nor do I invite conversation
on the job. And when it is someone that is not on my team, I would
prefer that they keep to themselves.

I have a nasty, profane and smart mouth, I today I able to get those
two meatheads to understand I don't care about them, their opinions,
or how they feel about their day. I was really surprised and go a
chuckle out of the result all day; they went to their boss and told
them I was mean and rude. Guys that age whining... what a world.

Robert

Don't get me started... oh wait, you did. By the way, the irony of
complaining about guys who complain isn't lost on me. :-)

Your "conversation on the job" thing got me thinking. There are two
things I really hate on a job...
1. Further conversation about a decision that has already been made.
I have very little patience for those who continue to discuss or debate
a decision that's already been made. It's usually not to argue or
debate the topic, although I could at least respect that. It's when the
decision has been made about a design or structural element and it's
agreed that "this is what we're going with." It's usually people who
feel like their opinion needs to be heard, even if it's the same opinion
as everyone else or the opinion that's already been agreed upon. To
them, it's not valid unless they say it. Or their precious self-esteem
needs stroked.
My mind is on to the next thing in the process. My mind is considering
future decisions and procedures and I don't have room in my brain or
attention span to rehash or continue discussing topis already decided,
or to put it another way, *closed.* The gavel has already struck.
Let's move on.

2. Home owners/clients who second guess or want to know "why" every step
of the way.
First of all, get out! I don't need an audience for this gig. Second,
you hired me for my expertise and skill level, either trust that I know
what I'm doing or hire someone else.
"Why are you doing it that way? Can't you just do this?"
"How come we can't just do such-n-such? My Son-in-law said it's easy
and all we need to do is..."
I don't have time to teach a structural engineering course or read you
the plumbing code book while doing your job and all you're doing is
distracting me and worse, putting bad ideas in my head.

If they're paying my by the hour? Ok, I'll sit here while we work out
your daddy issues. It's your money.
If they're paying me by the job, errrrg! That's when I have to try
really hard to keep my inner-northerner from coming out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--