Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton[_2_] Mathew Newton[_2_] is offline

Default Number of mains sockets behind a TV?

When it comes to rewiring I follow the school of thought that you can't have too many sockets... With this in mind I have always been fairly generous when it comes to sockets in a lounge for a TV so as to cover all the extras: STB, BR/DVD, surround sound etc.

The thing is; even putting in, say, three doubles, I've found the need to use a multi-way extension lead anyway and so for my next rewire I'm thinking I might just put one double socket in and then use short extension leads for everything given that they are all relatively low powered consumer electronic devices (i.e. not space heaters). This will then free up wall space for other sockets I generally need e.g. surround sound terminals, lighting points, Ethernet sockets etc.

I was curious what others think/do? Perhaps rather than 'you cant have too many sockets' it should be more 'you cant have too many socket *locations*'?