Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Best self-assembly electronics kits for beginners?

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 6:29:17 PM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/02/2019 09:58, Tim+ wrote:

Having watched too many Big Clive videos I decided to have a go at a simple
digital clock kit from eBay.

The result was fairly decent and I enjoyed all the soldering so Im keen to
have a go at a few more cheap kits for soldering practice.

Of course these kits arent actually teaching me anything (other than
soldering skills) and Id like to progress to understanding a bit more
about the design and function of components/circuits.

So, any recommendations for basic and more advanced kits that wont break
the bank? At the moment looking at a cheap Tesla coil kit on eBay.

Depends what you are interested in. EPE still does the odd basic project
that isn't just a single chip and its application note.

If you want to start at a nuts and bolts level with basic transistor
circuits then ISTR there is an EPE Electronics for beginners or if you
want something a little more challenging you can learn most of the
basics about classic bipolar transistor circuit designs from Ferranti's
classic E line Transistor Applications (free online) at:

https://archive.org/details/Ferranti...orApplications

Unlike Wireless World project circuit diagrams of old most of the
designs in that handbook actually work as described.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Hey, great link to the scan of the Ferranti book - I remember that myself. Thanks for that.

J^n