Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Frozen pipes?

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 09:07:33 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/5/2019 8:13 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

We have this problem with our main valve. If we need to work on the
lines, we put a 5 gal bucket under the drain valve. The drip will fill
the bucket in about 30 minutes.

Getting the city to shut line at street so we can replace the valve is
a major pain, so we live with it.

My street shutoff is right at the water meter located just below ground
level at the edge of my property in a compartment covered with a metal
plate- sorta like a small sewer cover.

The shutoff is just a rectangular spud easily turned the required 90
degrees with a big adjustable wrench or slip-joint pliers. An easy DIY
operation.

Evidently you live in a warm climate. Up north the vale was usually at
least 48" down. At my last house, I have a rough idea where it was, but
it was under the lawn, buried many years ago. Just finding the access
would be a problem.

Mine is about 5 feet down and is a "hydrant" - it opens a drain toi
the house side whenthe valve is shut off. It has a telescopic
handlethat comes up to street level - it is in my lawn and the top is
somewhere between 2 inches and a foot below sod level (it drops over
the years) I know where it is within a foot or so. The water crew
comes with a metaldetector to l,ocate it and a round "core shovel" to
remove the sod to get to it (and usually they jack it back to surface
hight with a jack and chain)