Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Frozen pipes?

On 2/5/19 9:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/5/2019 8:13 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

We have this problem with our main valve. If we need to work on the
lines, we put a 5 gal bucket under the drain valve. The drip will
fill the bucket in about 30 minutes.

Getting the city to shut line at street so we can replace the valve
is a major pain, so we live with it.

My street shutoff is right at the water meter located just below
ground level at the edge of my property in a compartment covered with
a metal plate- sorta like a small sewer cover.

The shutoff is just a rectangular spud easily turned the required 90
degrees with a big adjustable wrench or slip-joint pliers. An easy DIY
operation.

Evidently you live in a warm climate.Â* Up north the vale was usually at
least 48" down.Â* At my last house, I have a rough idea where it was, but
it was under the lawn, buried many years ago.Â* Just finding the access
would be a problem.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Born and raised up north- but been living in
the deep south for 45 years!