Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default Tiling on mdf....

Kevin H Wrote in message:
On Monday, 4 February 2019 14:38:20 UTC, JimK wrote:

Primer G instructions refer to use on gypsum & similar surfaces,
this is MDF?

I think I'm going to use MS polymer adhesive.
--
Jim K

Would it be possible to overboard with something like 6mm cement board (hardibacker or similar)? If the MDF is mechanically well fixed into the window reveal then the cement board will give a much better surface for tiles to adhere onto.

Not without it turning into a major retile...

If there is any risk that this area will get wet then getting rid of the MDF and replacing with WBP or 15/18mm cement board would be what I'd be doing. Also, use a cement based powdered adhesive - stay away from the stuff you get in tubs.

Mmmm

I was surprised how dry & intact it all was when I peeled the
tiles off (with 99.9% of the adhesive stuck to their
backs).
I've ground all that off the tiles ready for refitting.

Seems MDF & traditional "tile adhesives" are incompatible, so I
think I'll put my money on MS polymer adhesive a la "sticks like
sh1t", then grout traditionally, & put a decent silicone fillet
around any edges (e.g. pvc window frame) to try to keep potential
damp (steam, condensation etc) creeping in.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/