Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best self-assembly electronics kits for beginners?

On Sunday, 3 February 2019 09:58:11 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Having watched too many Big Clive videos I decided to have a go at a simple
digital clock kit from eBay.

The result was fairly decent and I enjoyed all the soldering so Im keen to
have a go at a few more cheap kits for soldering practice.

Of course these kits arent actually teaching me anything (other than
soldering skills) and Id like to progress to understanding a bit more
about the design and function of components/circuits.

So, any recommendations for basic and more advanced kits that wont break
the bank? At the moment looking at a cheap Tesla coil kit on eBay.

Kits are all very well but will you actually learn anything from putting together a kit, well a bit perhaps.

We run a skills course to get our students up to speed on the more practicel side of things and use this book picking out certain experiments and telling them to do them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Electr...ha rles+platt

It's not bad I've been suggesting the 'department' should write its own version but no one seems really interested.

I do have a copy of the previous version as a PDF you could borrow, of course then you'll go and order the second edition above :-}