Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Another Track Saw

On 2/3/19 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/2/2019 11:30 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 10:54:39 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Looks like Kreg is getting into the Track Saw game and it appears to
offer features much like the Festool track saw and the Festool MFT table
for cutting.

Yes, I "saw" that.Â* The price tag didn't look all that great,
considering the amount of plastic on the thing.

Well I was going to argue the point.Â* LOL.Â* I paid $387.00 for my
Festool TS-75 track saw in 2009.Â* I had to look it up.

But today TS-75 costs $660. and the MDT/3 table that will guide angle
cuts is $720.Â* The Kreg set up is $899. with extra's like the dolly like
set up.Â* The Festool set up is about 50% more expensive.

If I were a hobbyist I'd probably give the Kreg set up a close look.

Plastic is not so bad.Â* My Festool drill is mostly some kind of plastic
and it had hit the concrete floor more times than I would like to admit.
Â*As have all of my Festool sanders, 3 of them, and they are all
plastic.Â* I would be more afraid of metal being damaged than plastic.Â* I
make double sure that my Domino does not get dropped.

Anyone who's still complaining about "plastic" is living stuck in the 50s.
Modern plastics are stronger and more durable than metal counterparts,
given the same or less weight/mass. Glass reinforced polymers are
ridiculously strong and heat resistant.

These are the same guys who still complain about "OSB" but haven't ever
used any modern resin/wax impregnated composite fiber sheets goods.
They used "OSB" 40 years ago and that experience informs their opinions,
today.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)