Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 3:49:46 PM UTC-5, John S wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/2/2019 1:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 12:18:51 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

FWIW the sled you have and the one I am talking about are completely
different. My sled travels through the planer at the same rate as the
work.

Not true.

Start at the top of the pile.

My mistake, sorry. I did not want to go through tall of the redundancy

from the beginning.

I thought the sled was the melamine part and that you simply had lumber

sitting on top. I now see that the large piece has the stop on the far
end. ;~)

1 - Poplar board that I want to flatten
2 - 2" thick sled, with the stop at the front end so the poplar board
pushes
it along at the same rate
3 - 1.5" thick particle board/melamine bed, used as an extension table

https://i.imgur.com/fSSwztH.jpg

I use the wedges to keep the work from moving up or down, because
of bow or twist, between the sled and the work.

As do I and as I've mentioned numerous times. The shims/wedges are just
not
shown in the picture because I was just trying to show the table, sled,
etc.

I can set it all up again, shim the board and post another picture or you
guys can trust me when I say it's shimmed correctly so that all movement
is prevented. As I mentioned to dpb, every board needs to be shimmed
differently, so even if I posted a picture of *that* shimmed board, you'd
have no way of knowing of I shimmed *every* board correctly. You're just
going to have to trust me...or not.

Got it! LOL sorry you had to repeat yourself to me, again.

If you are continuing to have issues it is probably a situation where

you are going to be wasting time trying to get more out of a bench top
planer. I never expected my bench top planer to do anything besides
change the thickness of a "flat" board.

AND FWIW flattening a board on my 15" stationary planer is not a

pleasurable thing either. Technically that is the job of a jointer but
that is another story.

Moving the sled and work with out disturbing the shims takes

considerably more time and effort than it is worth, for me.

Two thoughts
Does your planer have a head lock for the height? If not, this could be why
you can make 3 passes at one setting. Each pass takes off less material and
thus can deflect the head less.

No head lock.

In regard to the sled. Could you try planing a twisted board that is
significantly shorter than the sled.

Please define "significantly shorter". My sled is 6'.

If the sled is tilting this would then
happen after the board has gone completely through.

I assume you mean tilting on the way out, thus pushing the tail end
of the board up. (If not, please explain) I have considered that as
possible cause from the very beginning, therefore...

I have been extremely diligent in preventing that from happening. The
extended table gives me lots of time to walk to the other side of the
planer to be ready to support the sled long before the tail end of
the board is even under the head. In fact, I've been *lifting* the
front of the sled even though there is no indication that the melamine
extended bed is sagging.