Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Best self-assembly electronics kits for beginners?

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
wrote:
On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 11:28:40 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 2/3/2019 9:57 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
S Viemeister formulated on Sunday :
I really miss HeathKits.

I did wonder how long before someone mentioned them, they were
absolutely brilliant kits, though quite expensive. Extremely well
written manuals and well designed kits.

I got mine free! My Dad was a consultant for them, and he and I built
pre-release versions of masses of them.

I believe the support level was quite exceptional, this probably
accounts for the expense and probably the resultant wane in
popularity.

It must be a bit soul destroying to man the helpline and the first
question of the day from an oscilloscope or Comms receiver kit buyer
is "what way in do you solder the resistors" :-)

I prefer the letter (to the BBC) "I think there should be a book written
about Ceefax and how it works and I'm going to write it. Please tell me how
itb works."

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England