Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Best self-assembly electronics kits for beginners?

Brian Gaff wrote

Well sadly one thing I did notice before I lost too much sight was that
these kits were getting less and less technical as the chips concerned did
most of the grunt work and nobody seemed to worry quite how they did so!

Not true anymore with arduinos and pis.

I remember putting together the zX81 and that nearly gave me repetitive
strain injury due to the number of diodes and resistors which had all the
same values and alignments!

"Tim+" wrote in message

Having watched too many Big Clive videos I decided to have a go at a
simple
digital clock kit from eBay.

The result was fairly decent and I enjoyed all the soldering so I'm keen
have a go at a few more cheap kits for soldering practice.

Of course these kits aren't actually teaching me anything (other than
soldering skills) and I'd like to progress to understanding a bit more
about the design and function of components/circuits.

So, any recommendations for basic and more advanced kits that won't break
the bank? At the moment looking at a cheap Tesla coil kit on eBay.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls