Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default Best self-assembly electronics kits for beginners?

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 3:38:55 PM UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 14:38:45 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 03/02/2019 09:58, Tim+ wrote:

Having watched too many Big Clive videos I decided to have a go at a simple
digital clock kit from eBay.

The result was fairly decent and I enjoyed all the soldering so I'm keen to
have a go at a few more cheap kits for soldering practice.

Of course these kits aren't actually teaching me anything (other than
soldering skills) and I'd like to progress to understanding a bit more
about the design and function of components/circuits.

So, any recommendations for basic and more advanced kits that won't break
the bank? At the moment looking at a cheap Tesla coil kit on eBay.

I would say look out for a collection of old electronics mags...
something like the Maplin mag used to publish loads of projects for
which they supplied kits, but crucially also published the PCB layouts
etc, so even with the demise of Maplin they should sill be buildable.

Are you for real?

Someone getting into electronics, PCB kits?

I really do get sick of people that know damn all trying to give
advice on this NG.

PCB manufacture is a subject in itself, for amateur use it is only
employed after the CCT has been built and tested, even then it is
pointless, as the "breadboarding" on Veroboard or similar will be
perfectly functional and can be as neat as a PCB.

Supplied kits are able to use a PCB, simply because the dimensions of
the components are known, they have been bought in bulk.

There are hundreds or even thousands of these circuits built, so a PCB
is a cost effective approach. Buying parts from other suppliers will
invariably lead to holes and spaces that dont accommodate the wires or
components.

On a final note, if you have a female in the house, trays of ferric
are about as popular as a beer fuelled rugby reunion.

AB

I agree. If you send the PCB files to China you can have much better
PCB than you could make yourself back within a few weeks for not very
much money.

--

Roger Hayter

plenty kits here, for not much money https://www.banggood.com/search/kits.html