Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip?

In message , at 13:17:27 on Sat, 2 Feb
2019, Andy Burns remarked:

One of the problems is that the bottles and caps are of different
materials and the recyclers want the former, but not the latter. The
trouble is that when you flatten bottles, they tend to partly spring
back unless the cap is on to keep them collapsed by vacuum. What we
really need is a requirement for the caps and bottles to be of
compatible materials (not necessarily the same materials).

You hear all sorts of rumours about what actually happens to the
contents of recycling bins after it's carted away, the village rag has
a semi-interesting article from someone who took the time to visit ...

http://www.countesthorpe-herald.org/319/mobile/index.html#p=6

e.g. me being "helpful" and flattening plastic bottles and aluminium
tins, turns out to be harmful. Black plastic is definitely not wanted
even if it has a recycling triangle on it, etc.

And recycling centres differ in the way they process the waste, so the
article in question doesn't necessarily shed any light on even
neighbouring local authority processes. Let alone why different LAs
have such differing ideas on what they can and can't accept.
--
Roland Perry