Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best self-assembly electronics kits for beginners?

On 03/02/2019 09:58, Tim+ wrote:

Having watched too many Big Clive videos I decided to have a go at a simple
digital clock kit from eBay.

The result was fairly decent and I enjoyed all the soldering so Im keen to
have a go at a few more cheap kits for soldering practice.

Of course these kits arent actually teaching me anything (other than
soldering skills) and Id like to progress to understanding a bit more
about the design and function of components/circuits.

So, any recommendations for basic and more advanced kits that wont break
the bank? At the moment looking at a cheap Tesla coil kit on eBay.

Tim

The problem today is that by and large there is not much you can build.

Its all 'put some chips on a PCB and thats it'

Back in the day I built radios and tuners and designed amps.

I have just finished todays equivalent: A raspberry Pi Zero W and some
C and PHP code to allow me to listen to (internet) radio stations and
play my (ripped to server) CD collection.

Using a smart phone as remote control !!

Just as challenging BUT no soldering involved other than making up new
audio leads as the old plugs didnt fit...

I believe there are some HiFi amp and preamp kits out there.

Those might be worth a go. Its about the only place discrete transistors
still have the edge.

kind word alone.

Al Capone