Mike O.

Default How to figure out if Ineed to upgrade my electrical panel

Actually, 220v equipment is typically lower amperage. Power level (watts)
is volts * amps, so at a given level if you double the volts, you halve the
amps. One advantage of 220v equipment is that you can use smaller wires, or
get less voltage drop on the same size wires as used in 110 circuits.

Also, in your other post you listed the current loads of some of your
appliances. Those are going to be peak loads and not constant, and probably
have a safety margin built in. The "fudge" (fridge?) is only going to hit
it's max for a second or two at startup, and probably isn't going to pull
30A even then. Your stove's not going to be using 30A, unless you're
running all the burners and oven on high at the same time..

There's web sites around that have info on calculating your load, but 200A
is probably enough unless you have a bunch of high power stuff (welder,
etc.)

Just my $1.23 (2 cents adjusted for inflation...)

Mike O.

"Ignoramus25700" wrote in message
Ihave a 200 amp electrical panel. I am thinking about upgrading my hot
tub/spa, by replacing the old guts of it with a new control center and
new heater, pump, etc etc. The only thing that will remain is shell
and plumbing.

My current equipment is 110v based and I want to put in 220v
equipment. Obviously it will run higher amps due to the much more
powerful heater.

My question is, how do I know if my panel is adequate and that I do not
exceed the amp limitations? What is the relevant part of the NEC that
Ishould study?

thanks.