Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On 2/1/2019 12:32 PM, dpb wrote:

I did it by either applying a laminate or taking another piece of
melamine-faced ply to the sled and then just used a thinner sled to hold
the work and let the planer do the work to pull it thru on the base
rather than having a mobile sled as the whole arrangement.Â* Then I
didn't have to worry about propping up the outfeed other than just
support the base boards as it was fixed in place--a replacement table
entirely, iow.

That's why I said that in general I didn't find it worth the trouble!Â*

Actually, I had forgotten at the time I wrote the above that that's the
basic idea you used -- mine was just a lot "beefier" because I was doing
much heavier stock at the time.

I've never tried to do smallish pieces that way; when doing a lot of
work that would have needed to I had access to a 12" Crescent jointer so
it was never an issue excepting for that one set of 16/4 x 15-16" walnut
slabs a customer wanted to use for mantle-pieces. They had come from
his grandfather's place and been sitting in the barn for nearly 50 years
and he couldn't bring himself to cut them down...