Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default Surge protection

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 11:10:18 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I have a surge protection extension in the kitchen, used for TV,
decoder box and radio. It is very old. I read here recently that
these devices may present a fire risk. To my knowledge we have never
had any surges or spikes. Should I be ditching this device?

Most small PSU's carry surge protection anyway, or are so cheap and
cheerful that they don't need it.

The major risk to small appliances comes from Aerial inputs or
Telephone connections.

If the unit is easily dismantled, look at the innards. The surge
protection will in all likelyhood be a MOV, choke and fuse.

Providing the cable looks substantial enough, the fuse is of a
reasonable value and the MOV is mounted sensibly, ie away from easily
ignited components, then the unit is going to function as a good multi
way adaptor. Dont expect any sudden failiure of the supplied equipment
if you ditch it though.

A final point, I have found that if you change things electrically,
even turning off things that run 24/7, it seems to invite seemingly
none related problems, So if you get rid, and BBC1 starts showing

AB