Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default How do estate agents get addresses?

On 01/02/2019 17:59, charles wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A mix of council and privately owned in the street, postie this morning
had an easy delivery round, just to some of the addresses, ours being
one of them. The only item a card from an estate agent type company
indicating they could get a good price for the owner. It was fully
addressed to me apart from my name, it said 'The Owner'.

Now how would they go about knowing which addresses were privately
owned? Land Registry? The Land Registry entry would supply my full name
and address.

I'm not sure that they can under GDPR.

The Land Registry's record of the current owner's name and address is
still accessible (for £3 online). AIUI both the Land Registry's and
other public registers (eg of shareholders) are seen as OK under the
GDPR as having legitimate purposes.

Of course courts might jump the other way. But there are policy and
political pressures which militate for maintaining/increasing open data
on ownership. The UK in 2016 brought in registers of persons with
"Significant Control" of companies. IIRC the EU is working up similar
things under money laundering rules. And unsurprisingly some of those
who shout most loudly about the importance of privacy for individuals
also shout most loudly about the outrageous way some individuals conceal
their ownership of companies, property etc.

--
Robin