Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:31:32 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

As shown below, I am using an extended table for support and a sled for the
actually flattening process. The only thing not shown in the image is the
shims/wedges. Rest assured that I am shimming the boards solid to prevent
rocking and flexing. The image is just an example of the set-up in response
to dpb's request to see it.

https://i.imgur.com/fSSwztH.jpg

The in feed and out feed rollers are not intended to flatten a board
into submission nor are they in any way instrumental in flattening a
warped/twisted, or bowed board. They simply push or pull the work
through the planer.

Agreed. But is it possible that they could *screw up* the flattening if they
were misaligned or applying uneven pressure?

That is basically been the question that I have been trying to get an
answer to.

If the cutter knives are coplanar to the table, misaligned infeed/outfeed
rollers should have no effect on the cut; assuming the stock can't shift
on the carrier board during the pass.

I'm not familiar with the Wen brand, so can't offer much else.