Set Square

Default Home made wadrobe problem.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:23:37 +0000, {R} wrote:

I have been doing DIY for 40 years, I can do anything but plastering.
This summer I finished my third floor to ceiling wardrobe/cupboard.

I have lived in this 2 up 2 down terraced house, built 1894, for 30
years. Very little except the main joists is original.

The new cupboard is very damp on the inside, soaking the wallpaper
that was there before the cupboard. The cupboard is on the front
wall of the SW facing house, 9" brick with a lathe and plaster
finish.

The wall has never been damp before and indeed the area under and to
the right of the window in the same wall is still totally dry.

The cupboard construction is as I have done before a floor to ceiling
frame of 2" x 2" designed to perfectly accommodate 3 pairs of doors
from B&Q a 6' one and on top a 3' one.

My wife said that she found the inside of the cupboard cold as the
winter came on and now it is very cold in there even though the room
has central heating.

So I conclude that.

1) I have a condensation problem or
2) I have a ventilation problem or both.

Is their an easy solution, I suspect not. I assume that I have to
force ventilate or heat the cupboard, this is not appealing.

{R}

From other responses, it sounds like condensation resulting from the
creation of a cold cupboard.

However, as an addition "long shot" are you 100% convinced that there are no
water pipes (maybe lead?) buried in the lath & plaster wall? Could you have
drilled through one when fixing the frame for your wardrobe?

--
Cheers,
Set Square