William Brown

Default Shower too far from Water Heater; should I install an autocircpump or point of use?

How much of the 60 feet is vertical? We have a lengthy run across the
basement and up to the second floor. When we did an extensive remodel,
I put in a second line forming a loop between the water heater and the
bathroom. I insulated one side well, and the other side less well. The
hot water circulates up the well insulated side, and down the less well
insulated, and there is enough unpowered circulation that we have
instant hot water in the bath. I save some water, but of course I lose
some heat. It works best if you put in a check valve that prevents back
flow through the less well insulated side. I'm not sure it would work
as well if the run were mostly horizontal. And, of course, I have
relatively cheap gas heat.

CactusPatch wrote:
Hi,
I am doing an extensive remodel. The main shower is at least 60 feet from
the 40 gal.(electric) water heater. I would like to have hot water
available without waiting or using up too much water. I could install a 30
gal heater near the bathroom and replumb the two lavatories and shower. I
also thought about using a point of use (elec) type heater to boost the
water temp until the water from the tank caught up. Has anyone used one of
these?
I have considered the AutoCirc pump that recirculates the hot water into the
cold water line. I don't know if I like putting the water from the HW tank
into the cold water line. Our water has a lot of minerals in it. Has anyone
used this? It claims to save money but I do not see how it would save
electricity. I figured it would save about $2.50 per month in water.
I am reluctant to install another water heater since this might also cost
quite a lot more per year in Electricity. (Gas is not available).
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

there.