Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another Dave Another Dave is offline

Default cycles to hertz - when?

On 01/02/2019 09:23, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 08:46:54 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :
One thing that has always interested me is the fact that many shortwave
stations even today, give the frequencies in Khz, but the band in metres.
Now I used to know the conversion by heart when I could see, but over the
years its kind of faded, but I know it contains the speed of light in metres
per second.

metres = 299792.458/ kHz

kHz = 299792.458/ metres

I thought it was 300,000. The teaching at my school must have been a
bit rubbish!

There has been talk of redefining the metre so the speed of light in
vacuo is precisely that. Since the metre isn't 1/10,000,000th the
distance from the equator to the pole as intended, it shouldn't offend
anybody. I suppose too much inertia has now made the change impossible.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie