Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What paint for furniture

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 01:05:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 9:15:14 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I bet it was Robert.

--

-MIKE-

LOL... bet you are right. Still use it, still love it. Can't brush it, but if you can spray lacquer, you can spray this stuff.

A lot of speculation on what to use on furniture, and for me, no question it would be alkyd. Latex is considered a permeable finish, and alkyd is almost impermeable. With alkyd finishes the abrasion resistance is much greater and its light resistance is higher.

If abrasion resistance matters to you you want urethane. Some time
back I spent a good bit of the taxpayers' money evaluating the
abrasion resistance of various paints to use on military aircraft and
the result consistently was that urethanes were as a group the most
abrasion resistant paints available. There were more resistant
coatings (thick nickel plating or boron carbide for example) but they
could not be applied with a sprayer.

Green strength of alkyd is 48-72 hours depending on site conditions such as ventilation, temperature and humidity. Full cure is about 21 days according to SW, Coronado, Pittsburgh etc.

Latex is not a favorite for horizontal surfaces, high abrasion surfaces, or surfaces exposed to water. NOTE: I specified horizontal surfaces. Latex will shed water when given a chance (vertical surfaces) but is still a permeable surface. I have seen green/cure times vary so wildly over the years I wouldn't speculate on either.

So as a contractor, I need something I can control and something I can rely on for specific performance. I use latex on walls, some trims, alkyd on everything else.

To see a brief discussion on permeability of paints, check out this link:

https://www.dulux.ca/diy/tips-tricks...h-the-paint-(4)

Robert