Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What paint for furniture

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 9:15:14 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I bet it was Robert.

--

-MIKE-

LOL... bet you are right. Still use it, still love it. Can't brush it, but if you can spray lacquer, you can spray this stuff.

A lot of speculation on what to use on furniture, and for me, no question it would be alkyd. Latex is considered a permeable finish, and alkyd is almost impermeable. With alkyd finishes the abrasion resistance is much greater and its light resistance is higher.

Green strength of alkyd is 48-72 hours depending on site conditions such as ventilation, temperature and humidity. Full cure is about 21 days according to SW, Coronado, Pittsburgh etc.

Latex is not a favorite for horizontal surfaces, high abrasion surfaces, or surfaces exposed to water. NOTE: I specified horizontal surfaces. Latex will shed water when given a chance (vertical surfaces) but is still a permeable surface. I have seen green/cure times vary so wildly over the years I wouldn't speculate on either.

So as a contractor, I need something I can control and something I can rely on for specific performance. I use latex on walls, some trims, alkyd on everything else.

To see a brief discussion on permeability of paints, check out this link:

https://www.dulux.ca/diy/tips-tricks...h-the-paint-(4)

Robert