Posted to alt.home.repair
Davej Davej is offline

Default Frozen water pipes

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 8:01:12 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote:
I will repeat. OPEN THE TAPS. If the pipes are going to split but
have not yet, opening the taps will prevent splitting in most cases.

+1
if you are going to be away from the house when it warms up, its
a good idea to shut OFF the supply valve to that section and open
the sink tap.

I have now cut a roughly 3ft x 4ft hole in the ceiling above my
front door. The water pipes do stay well away from the exterior
wall (19"). The primary problem seems to be that the bats of pink
insulation that were shoved in there 19 years ago have shifted
somewhat and are out of position, however another discovery is
that the brick facade gap is also right in there. Apparently
there is a slight overhang of the upper floor right there, so the
upper wall is out farther, and I can see the top of the bricks.
I'm not sure how brick facade is normally vented. I guess it needs
to be able to vent and I don't mind that, however I think maybe it
ought to be topped with aluminum screen or something as a vermin
trap when it will actually lead into the house? I don't see any
damaged water pipe yet. I think I will also cut another hole
upstairs in the bathroom wall.