Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On 1/31/2019 4:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If I've missed anything or if you have any other questions about the set-up
or my technique, just let me know.

https://i.imgur.com/fSSwztH.jpg

In bulk, that's a reasonable-looking approach.

What we don't see, however, is the actual setup when trying to do a
planing pass.

You don't give any measurements but if I just guesstimate that the
difference is as much as 1/32" over the last 3-ft of the material then
the angle is 0.05 deg from true straight edge. I don't think there's
any way you can measure anything close to that precision with the angle
gauge you've shown nor can be totally assured you don't have that much
flex in the setup shown in a combination of all the places there's room
for any movement whatsoever.

And, even though it is 8/4 material, poplar is quite soft/limber as
compared to, say, oak, so I would totally eliminate some flex there.