Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Warehousing, even in a small flat

On 30/01/2019 18:01, Bill Wright wrote:
The wisdom of life
NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY
because
IT MIGHT COME IN
and
HELP AVOID SOCIAL HUMILIATION

Just suppose your relatives turn up out of the blue and with very little
preliminary small talk ask if you have any chain. Imagine the
embarrassment if you are clean out of chain. But the wise man will have
been carefully saving and cataloguing every piece of chain that has come
his wayÂ* for the last fifty years.Â* Disregarding the twenty-three
samples of chain he has that aren't suitable on grounds of size, weight,
and design, he will be able to find various appropriate chains
immediately and offer his relations a choice of at least five types.
This sort of prudence is what made Britain great. REMEMBER! NEVER THROW
ANYTHING AWAY! IT MIGHT COME IN!

Bill

I thought I was being a lot better in the past few years by throwing out
anything I hadn't used for 5 years and furthermore not keeping things in
the first place to clutter up the house.

Over the new year period I helped friends move house. The bulk of the
physical moving from one house to another was undertaken by 3 men in 2
vans but everything had to be packed first. In addition a lot of stuff
was moved by car in bags and boxes. They were hoarders. At the end of
the move, to a smaller house, they had managed to hire a 20ft container
at a storage facility and fill it as well as filling the new house to an
extent that were only narrow walk ways left. Their intention now is to
start selling, gifting or junking all their unnecessary possessions,
especially as the storage facility is nearly £1.4K a year. They are not
considering moving again in the foreseeable future so the storage is
effectively just being used to store "junk".

This exercise got me to thinking about how much crap I've still got
after 30+ years in my current house and I will probably want to move to
a smaller property within a couple of years. In the past 3 weeks I've
managed 4 full car loads to the local tip as well as putting out 4 to 6
extra general purpose rubbish bags for the bin men each week. 2 car
loads were from the garden sheds where items had been dumped and
forgotten about. It's amazing how much crap you can store in a small
space let alone in the whole of your house!