Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On 1/29/2019 5:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 12:35:18 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 1/28/2019 8:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That is basically the whole point of my question. I know what the manual
says but I don't if the guy/gal who put mine together did it right. Since I
don't know squat about planers, I have no idea if the engineer's idea of
"the correct height" is what my planer is actually set at. What does
"correct height" mean - both rollers the same distance from the bed or the
outfeed lower then the infeed roller by 1/32"?

In other words, just because mine came out the box the way it did doesn't
mean that it's set up correctly.

Ergo, while there's no cross-sectional drawing as in the other manual,
it appears like with the Model 13 the position of the rollers is fixed
and you may/may not have an adjustable pressure spring or it may be
these are fixed, too...

There is no adjustment on mine, so either uneven is right or it's screwed
up. That's what I'm trying to determine.

Well, if works, doesn't it?

Seems to me like you're looking to make a problem that doesn't exist.

Your supposition only holds true if the answer to your question is "yes".

The issue is that I don't know if "it works" or not.

Let's start from the beginning.

This is my first planer and my first use of a planer. I jumped right into
it. I built a planing sled so that I could flatten some twisted boards.
The sled is flat and level, my board is supported so that it doesn't rock.

(The end closest to the planer touching the sled, the far end shimmed and
secured.)

I marked the full length of the board so that I would know when the entire
length had been planed flat. Supposedly, once all the marks are gone, I
should be able to flip the board over and it should lay completely flat on
the sled. The problem is that when I flip it over, the "far end", the end
that was shimmed, does not touch the sled. There is a gap between the sled
and that end of the board. (It's not the result of snipe. The gap extends
beyond the little area of snipe at the end of the board.)

This happened on 2 different boards, so it's either my technique, my sled,
or my planer. OK, so I made a smaller sled, tried a shorter board and got
the same results. That leaves my technique or the planer. My technique matches
what I've seen on youtube and read about, so I think that leaves my planer.

That's when the I started looking at the planer and seeing what I could
find out. That's when I tried my push test. That's when I found that the
back roller was presenting an obstacle. That's when I posted my question.

Short, already flat boards seem to plane down evenly, but to be honest I
haven't spent a lot of time doing that since I'm trying to flatten the
long twisted boards first and use the thinnest of the resulting boards as
my final thickness. Since one end keeps coming out screwed up, I'm simply
trying to determine what is causing the problem.

Having nothing to compare my planer/technique to, I came here looking for
some answers.

If you are sending twisted boards through a planer you get twisted
results. You need to run the twisted boards through the planer on a
sled longer than the boards. AND you need yo chock the boards with
small wedges so that they, the boards, do not move while going through
the planer.