Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On 1/28/2019 8:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 8:30:53 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

"The planer is supplied with planing blades mounted in the cutterhead
and infeed and outfeed rollers adjusted to the correct height."

That's exactly what the manual for my planer says.

In other words, just because mine came out the box the way it did doesn't
mean that it's set up correctly.

There is no adjustment on mine, so either uneven is right or it's screwed
up. That's what I'm trying to determine.

Is the thing constructed so you _could_ adjust them if you wanted to, or
are they in a solidly-mounted assembly? For these little guys, I'd not
be terribly surprised if the latter were the case...there's only one
place they _can_ be. Then again, they may be mounted in a
bearing/sleeve holder on a threaded rod so they can be moved but if so
would expect would be part of the maintenance/setup info.

I thought maybe the manual would have a picture of the actual machine.

I still think the real answer is "If it works, it's OK!" How it acts
dead is pretty-much totally immaterial; go make chips!