Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Conduit fixed below joists OK?

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 28/01/2019 16:34, Robin wrote:
On 28/01/2019 16:03, newshound wrote:
On 27/01/2019 11:16, Chris Green wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, 26 January 2019 09:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Is it acceptaple to run cables in (probably standard plastic clip on
cover) conduit fixed to the underside of exposed joists? I can't see
any reason why it shouldn't be OK but want to check.

It's to run a couple of 2.5sq mm feeds across the ceiling of a garage
which has a room above it but where the joists are exposed. Going
round the edge at the top of the walls is possible but rather messier
with obstructions and such (and would also use more cable).

You could, but it makes more sense to clip the cable to the sides of
the joists without trunking.

The run is *across* the joists, not in the same direction as the
joists run.

Any particular reason not to run it naked through 12 mm holes?

300mm max cable support spacing[1]? I wouldn't claim to comply always
and everywhere but it'd be a bit obvious in a garage roof.

[1] for 10 to 15mm diameter

Fair point, although I don't see much "electrical" risk. I still thing
the quickest and easiest way might be to use metal capping as a sort of
mini "cable tray".

cable support is not to deal electrical problems but with the blocking of
an escape route by drooping, burning cables. I understood, from a
presentation on the new REgs, that a firefighter lost his life having been
trapped.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England